Friday, September 2, 2011

Flash Fiction - Revenge

Chuck Wendig, writer at Terrible Minds, issued the challenge of a 100-word flash fiction on the topic of "Revenge." (Found here.) Seeing as 100 words is the literary equivalent of a quarter of an appetizer to a starving village, I've done the best I could with the meager amount of space. With fiction like this, it's imperative to imply instead of state, and show, not tell. I hope I've done both, but feel I've done neither.


“I've waited 25 years for this.” I told him, struggling to get up the mountainside. My phone buzzed an important text message. I struggled to keep hold of the wall. The text message was simple, You're guaranteed.

“To go mountain-climbing?” My boss asked incredulously, strong fingers gripping the stone, wind threatening to tear us both from the rocks.

“No,” I told him cheerily, “for a better position.”

“On a mountain?”

“No, CFO of sales.”

“My job!?” He screamed.

“Yep,” I replied, and kicked him to his doom. “Promotion denied my ass.”

No comments:

Post a Comment